The Church of St. Sebastian
Construction of the church was begun in 1750, on the site of an earlier building that was located within the present cemetery, and the building was consecrated on 13th May 1754. Although dedicated to St.Sebastian, the Choir is the home of the exceptional chest containing the relics of St. Remacle, the founder of Stavelot Abbey. Created by goldsmiths of the Rhenish-Meuse school in the thirteenth century, it is the most important work of art to be found in the church.
The central nave is framed by rows of columns. A full restoration carried out in 1995 helped to bring out the harmonious proportions of the building: in addition, high-quality wooden statuary and furnishings have added to the overall effect. The church also has a fine romantic period organ, constructed in 1841 by the German organ builder Wilhelm Korfmacher of Linnich. Refurbished in the nineteen-thirties, the instrument underwent a complete renovation in 1999 carried out by local builders Thomas.